In the previous article, How Argan Oil Can Help with Hair Loss Issues, I discussed argan oil benefits and how to use it effectively for hair loss and breakage.
I also made some recommendations for argan oil. However, I received an email asking how to incorporate argan oil into the shampooing stage as well.
There are several excellent argan oil shampoos on the market, which I will recommend at the end of this article.
However, if you’re keen on DIY, read on for a simple homemade recipe. This homemade shampoo is particularly good for dry to very dry hair.
Homemade Argan Oil Shampoo for Dry Hair
- 1 teaspoon of pure argan oil
- 1 teaspoon of jojoba oil
- 7 drops of tea tree or peppermint essential oil (optional)
- 1 cup of distilled water
- Liquid Castile soap
- 4 oz sterilized amber bottle
- Open the amber bottle and fill up ½ way with the Castile soap.
- Heat up the distilled water slightly, then fill up the bottle the rest of the way with the warm distilled water.
- Add the argan oil and jojoba oil as well as the tea tree or peppermint essential oil if using.
- Close and shake the bottle thoroughly.
- Uncover the bottle and wait for the mixture to cool down, then closed back up.
- Test the pH level to make sure its between 7.5 – 8. If it’s higher than 8, you used too much castile soap so adjust the measurements accordingly.
Use the argan oil shampoo as needed, leaving it in for a few minutes before rinsing every time you use it.
This is a simple recipe. You can experiment with the oils and essential oils added.
I recommend trying lavender essential oil, rosemary essential oil, jasmine oil, sesame seed oil, sweet almond oil, avocado oil, lemongrass essential oil, and hemp seed oil to see which one works best for your hair type.
Keep in mind, everyone’s hair is different and what works for one person might not work for the other.
This is why I recommended other combinations above. You can mix and match until you find the combination your hair agrees with.
In this case, make the shampoo in small batches instead. In 1 oz bottles at a time for instance.
Below are some recommendations for commercial shampoos with argan oil. They have good reviews, are moisturizing and smell divine.
They are listed in order of their effectiveness based on my experience:-
3 thoughts on “How to Make Your Own Argan Oil Shampoo at Home”