Coconut oil is one of the best natural oils for treating dry and damaged hair as well as strengthening hair strands, and this simple coconut oil shampoo recipe will be a treat for all hair types.
I covered the benefits of coconut oil and coconut-derived products in the following articles:-
- Coconut Oil and Molasses Pre-poo Recipe for Maintaining Moisture in Your Hair
- Add Coconut Vinegar to Your Diet and Regimen for Recovery from Hair Loss in Dubai.
Coconut oil shampoo can nourish your hair and stimulate follicles for healthier hair growth. It will moisturize and strengthen weak hair.
Its antibacterial properties also mean it will help fight off scalp conditions such as dandruff.
If you have dry and dull hair, coconut oil shampoo is excellent for infusing much need needed moisture and shine. The recipe is very simple and easy to put together at home.
DIY Coconut Oil Shampoo
Coconut Oil Shampoo Ingredients
- ½ cup of distilled water or bottled spring water
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of liquid Castile soap
- ¼ cup full cream coconut milk
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil
- ½ tablespoon of grapeseed or sweet almond oil
- 3 – 5 drops of either lavender, rosemary or rosehip essential oil
- 3 drops of vitamin E oil (at least 70,000 IU)
Coconut Oil Shampoo Instructions
- Combine the Castile soap, coconut milk and distilled water or spring water in a clean bottle and shake.
- Add in the coconut oil, grapeseed or sweet almond oil, vitamin E oil and your choice of essential oil. Shake bottle well to combine.
- This mix keeps up 3 – 4 weeks in the shower. Afterwards, throw out and mix a fresh batch.
- Use a few teaspoons each time you shampoo. Work in thoroughly, leave in for a few minutes then rinse out thoroughly.
You can get most of the ingredients at the local grocery stores. You can also order them from below links. You get 10% off your first order of $40 or more:
- Desert Essence liquid Castile soap
- Extra virgin coconut oil
- Now Foods lavender essential oil
- Aura Cacia pure rosemary essential oil
- Life Flo Pure Rosehip Essential Oil
- Spectrum Naturals grapeseed oil
- Now Foods Solutions organic sweet almond oil
- Sundown Naturals Vitamin E oil (70,000 IU)
With frequent use, your hair should begin to improve. If you’re not a fan of coconut oil, you can take a look at the earlier article on How to Make Your Own Argan Oil Shampoo at Home.
Other Coconut Oil Hair Products That May Interest You
- Urban Hydration Coconut Oil Shampoo
- Hask Coconut Oil Nourishing Shampoo
- Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal + Coconut Oil Micro-Exfoliating Shampoo
- Madam C.J. Walker Coconut & Moringa Oils Curl Shampoo
- Yes to Ultra Moisture Shampoo Coconut & Argan Oil
The Naturalista Lifestyle is a lifestyle website for women interested in hair, skin, health and fitness, self-care, savings, budgeting, and living their best lives. Learn more HERE.