Turmeric powder is a very familiar ingredient when it comes to cooking in our part of the world.
Did you know it can also help with a few beauty problems such as acne and skin discolouration?
Turmeric powder has a rich yellow-orange colour and has been used as a medicinal agent for centuries in India.
It is also a major ingredient in Indian and Thai cooking.
6 Benefits of Turmeric for the Skin
1. Inhibits Production of Curcumin
A bioactive compound known as curcumin in the powder helps to inhibit the production of melanin in the skin helping to even out skin tone.
2. Reduces Inflammation
The compound also reduces inflammation, which will keep your acne from flaring up.
3. Protects the Skin
Additionally, turmeric powder is a powerful antioxidant with antibacterial properties and protects the skin against environmental toxins.
4. Brightens the Skin
The antioxidants and anti-inflammatory components contained in turmeric powder contribute to a bright and glowing complexion.
5. Refines Appearance of Scars
Turmeric powder may help reduce the appearance of acne scarring with regular use.
6. Helps with Psoriasis and Eczema
Turmeric powder may also help with other dermatological issues such as psoriasis and eczema.
Below are some simple recipes you can start applying immediately to help with oily skin, acne spots and hyper-pigmentation issues.
Turmeric Mask Recipe to Get Rid of Acne Spots
- 2 fresh lemons
- 3 – 4 tablespoons of turmeric powder
- Squeeze out the juice from the lemons and pour into a jar.
- Add enough turmeric powder to make a paste the same consistency as creamy mashed potatoes.
- Cleanse your face and wait for it to dry then apply the mix onto the affected areas.
- Leave on for 15 minutes then rinse off with lukewarm water. If you leave it on longer, it might dry out your skin.
- Apply your oil-free moisturizer.
If your skin feels too dry with this recipe, mix the turmeric powder with honey instead of lemon juice.
2 tablespoons of honey with enough turmeric powder to make a smooth paste should do it. If you can afford manuka honey, you can use this as well.
Applying this mask daily should lead to an improvement in your symptoms after 3 weeks.
Your skin tone should begin to even out nicely as well. The recipe is safe and suitable for most skin types.
Turmeric Mask for Brighter Skin Recipe
- Mix all the ingredients together until you have a smooth paste
- Cleanse your skin then apply the turmeric paste evenly all over your face.
- Leave on for twenty minutes then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Follow up with your moisturiser.
- Repeat 2 – 3 times a week.
Turmeric powder might stain your skin yellow but don’t be alarmed by this. It will come off once you wash your face the next morning.
It will also likely stain your fingers yellow. This will come off after a few washes but if that bothers you, just use disposable gloves for application.
You can also use a cotton bud to apply the mask.
Turmeric Powder Beauty Products
- My Magic Mud Turmeric Whitening Tooth Powder
- Matcha Turmeric Tonic Blend
- Turmeric Brightening and Exfoliating Mask
By the way, if you use turmeric powder in your cooking, you are already getting the benefits internally.
If you don’t use it in your cooking, you can mix a teaspoon of turmeric powder with a glass of lukewarm water every morning and chug it down.