Here’s how to use Curlformers to straighten curly hair without causing any damage or breakage plus step by step guide on how to use Curlformers.
With the humid and dry weather, straightening hair with heat devices like blow dryers and flat irons can lead to breakage and damaged hair in the long term.
However, sometimes you want to change up your curly-haired look with something different.
Fortunately, there’s a foolproof method with Curlformers to straighten curly hair with little to no heat.
It’s a method I’ve used for a long time and it works almost as well as a blow dryer or flat iron.
What Are Curlformers?
Curlformers were invented by Hair Flair as a way to create perfect curls without any heat. However, it can also be used to straighten curly hair without heat.
Curlformers are made with a thin plastic material through which you insert a hook included in the package.
Curlformers come in various colors and sizes. Your choice depends on the length of your hair and the size of curls you’re trying to achieve.
How to Use Curlformers?
- Start on clean and damp hair.
- Separate hair into 4 – 6 large sections.
- Apply your styling products to each section thoroughly. Great styling products for Curlformers set include hair gels, styling creams, and natural oils.
- Section off a tiny amount of hair and detangle.
- Insert the hook through a Curlformer, wrap the hook around the small section of hair, then pull through the Curlformer with the hook.
- Leave to air dry (this could take a while depending on your hair length) or use a portable hooded dryer for indirect heat to dry faster.
- Once your hair is dry, straighten each Curlformer gently and remove it from hair.
At this point, your hair will be curly. You can leave it curly if you like.
I usually then pull it into a bun afterward. This lasts for 3 – 5 days.
Here are some pictures of my hair. Pic 1 is the Curlformers set. Pic 2 is the results after taking them down.
Pic 3 is after unraveling the curls and pulling my hair into a bun.
Where Can I Buy Curlformers?
You can buy Curlformers HERE. Each pack contains 30 – 40 Curlformers and 2 hooks. 2 packs should be enough for the average head of hair.
You can also find Curlformers new or used on eBay HERE.
Best Tips for Using Curlformers
- Insert small amounts of hair in each Curlformer. If you section off too much hair, you’ll pull out your hair.
- If your hair gets caught while trying to pull it through the Curlformers, stop and make a smaller section. Don’t try to force the hair through.
- Until you get used to it, it might take a long time to install your full head but be patient. As you get better, it will take less time to finish each time.
- Twist the bottom of each section of hair before wrapping the hook around it. This will help the hair get through smoothly.
- You might want to install them in the morning and take them out before bed because they’re a pain to sleep in.
Below is an instructional DIY video for installing Curlformers.
Have you tried Curlformers before? Share pictures in the comments section.
Pin it for Later – How To Straighten Curly Hair with Curlformers
The Naturalista Lifestyle is a lifestyle website for women interested in hair, skin, health and fitness, self-care, savings, budgeting, and living their best lives. Learn more HERE.