If you’re keen on DIY, now’s as good a time as any to try your hand at making your own hand sanitizer supply.
Despite making hand sanitizer, you should still have hand soap in your personal cleaning stash.
The first line of defence is washing hands with soap.
Hand sanitizers come into play when you don’t have access to soap or you’re out and about and just touched something gross like grocery store carts.
The most important ingredient in this DIY hand sanitizer is the alcohol content which has to be at least 60% for it to be effective in the current climate.
If you’re wondering why the 60% content is important, check out this update from CDC.
DIY Hand Sanitizer Recipe
- 6 tablespoons of isopropyl alcohol. I recommend Grand Alcohol-90 Isopropyl Solution
- 2.5 tablespoons of pure aloe vera gel. I recommend Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel or Kazima Aloe Vera Gel
- 5 drops of antiseptic essential oil like cinnamon essential oil, anise essential oil, peppermint essential oil or lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of vitamin E oil
- Amber bottle with pump like the ones on Amazon HERE
- Clean mixing bowl
Grand Alcohol-90 Isopropyl Solution
- Rinse the mixing bowl with hot water then measure in the isopropyl alcohol and aloe vera gel. Stir with the whisk until smooth.
- Add in the essential oil of choice and whisk again then add the vitamin E oil. The vitamin E oil adds moisture so the alcohol doesn’t dry out your skin.
- Whisk until the mix is smooth then pour into the amber bottle through a clean funnel. Clean and sterilize the bottle before you pour the hand sanitizer in.
- Use gloves while preparing the sanitizer so you don’t contaminate the mix.
This mix will last for a few months. Make in small batches at a time if it’s just for you.
The mix is ready in 15 – 20 minutes including time for cleaning the utensils. Shake the bottle every time you want to use the sanitizer.
Please remember this recipe is only effective if you include the alcohol. The other ingredients are for moisture and fragrance.
Do not use any type of alcohol apart from the one recommended in this recipe.
You can also order the products from iHerb.com HERE. Let me know if you have any questions in the comments section. In the meantime, stay safe!