Nut butter is made by grinding suitable nuts into a paste via a blender or food processor.
Nut butter is high in protein, fibre and essential fatty acids, and make a suitable healthy replacement for margarine and butter in sandwiches, toast, etc.
Nut butter is also suitable for vegan and paleo diets.
Peanut butter is the most popular and easily recognizable to a lot of people but it doesn’t contain that many omega-3 fatty acids.
Omega-3 fatty acids are required as part of the effective functioning of the immune system.
You can acquire this by incorporating other nutritious kinds of nut butter into your diet.
This article will cover the 7 best types of nuts for butter, a DIY nut butter recipe as well as recommendations if you don’t want to make your own nut butter.
7 Essential Types of Nut Butter to Include in Your Diet for Better Weight Loss
The best nut butter is almond butter. Almond butter contains the least amount of calories per serving.
It also contains the most fibre out of all the types of nut butter. Almond butter stabilizes the blood sugar levels, which leads to increased energy and reduced likelihood of unhealthy cravings.
Additional nutrients include B vitamins, vitamin E, copper, phosphorus and magnesium.
Walnut butter is full of omega-3 fatty acids and helps to trigger leptin, a hormone that tells the body when it has had enough to eat.
Additional nutrients in walnut butter include biotin, copper, manganese and B vitamins.
Cashew butter has a high content of protein, B vitamins and protein.
Cashew butter can also be added to smoothies, oatmeal, and used as a dip for crudités like apples, cucumbers, celery sticks and carrots.
Pistachio butter improves heart health and helps to lower LDL (bad cholesterol).
Pistachios contain omega-3 fatty acids and a significant amount of omega-6 fatty acids. They also contain protein, fibre and potassium.
Hazelnut butter contains a good amount of omega-6 fatty acids as well.
Hazelnuts contain fibre, vitamin E, potassium, manganese and protein although the protein content is less than the protein content of other butters.
Hazelnuts can be paired with other ingredients for maximum benefit. I recommend Nature’s Choice Plain Hazelnuts.
Macadamia nut butter has a great flavour profile and is rich in fibre, calcium, potassium and magnesium.
Macadamia nut butter has a very high-fat content so consume in moderation.
Macadamia nuts can be a bit pricey though so if budget is an issue, try some other nut on the list.
Pecan butter is a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals. It contains vitamins A, B & E, potassium, magnesium, omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids, as well as a lot of fibre.
Pecan butter can also help lower bad cholesterol but should be consumed in moderation.
If you have a frying pan and food processor, you can whip up any type of nut butter in minutes.
Below is a simple DIY nut butter recipe. Even a basic cook can knock this together:-
DIY Nut Butter Recipe
- 2 – 4 cups of whichever nuts you’re using
- A few tablespoons of oil (I like coconut and extra virgin olive oil for this recipe)
- A few teaspoons of sea salt (optional)
- Canning jars similar to these ones
- Heat up a frying pan over medium heat then toss in the nuts. Move around every few minutes until toasted to your preference then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Some people prefer to soak and dehydrate the nuts before processing into butter. This is up to you. If you’re doing this, don’t soak and dehydrate macadamia nuts. Here’s a detailed article on how to soak and dehydrate nuts.
- Pour the nuts into your food processor and start pulsing initially then move on to processing for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add in the oil slowly as you process the nuts until creamy and smooth. Go easy on the oil as nuts already contain natural oils, which are released as you process them.
- Taste and add salt if you’re using.
- Store in an airtight container like this one. It should keep for up to a month in the fridge.
You can jazz up your nut butters anyway you like with some suggestions being cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, cayenne pepper, rosemary, basil, honey, maple syrup, agave nectar etc.
Add in these ingredients after the nut butter is already creamy and smooth. You can also mix and match nut butters if you like. A great suggestion is pistachio and almonds.
Nut butter fills you up and helps your metabolism work more effectively, which leads to better weight loss.
However, it’s important to keep in mind they are also high in fat content and should be consumed in moderation (not more than 2 tablespoons per serving).
If you don’t want to make nut butter, below are recommendations for different types of nut butter:-
Best Types of Nut Butter
Read 3 Essential Seed Butters for Weight Loss for a breakdown of 3 best seed butters as well as their effects on the body and weight loss goals.